Becoming a Tenant
- Apply: An application can be filled out online under the property listing or at the office. The fee is $50 per financially responsible person.
- Age: Applicants must be of legal age, 18 years or older.
- Showings: Applicants must see the inside of the property they applied for before scheduling a lease signing.
- Financial Responsibility: Net monthly income must equal or exceed 3 times the rent amount of the property.
- Background Check: $50 fee is for a soft inquiry of the Credit Report, Eviction Report, Criminal Report, and Social Security Verification.
- Credit Report: Credit score must be 500 or above and monthly debt payments may not exceed 36% of net monthly income.
- Eviction Report: No record of evictions and/or eviction filings may be within the past five years.
- Criminal Report: An applicant must have minimum criminal history.
- Employment: Employment and income resources must be verifiable.
- Vehicles: All vehicles on the property must have valid plates and be operable.
Lease Signing Appointment Information
When an applicant has completed the application process and has been approved, he/she will be able to schedule a lease signing with one of CAPS’ agents. All financially responsible applicants will need to sign the lease. The lease signings will take place at the office. The following list includes the information an approved applicant will need to know before signing the lease:
- Length of Lease: The minimum length of a lease is 12 months and the maximum length of a lease is 36 months.
- First Month’s Rent: The rent amount is required at the lease signing. If the move in date is not on the 1st of the month, the prorated rent will be due the following 1st of the month.
- Inspection Fee: The $295 Inspection Fee is required at the lease signing. The Inspection Fee is applied to a series of inspections that will take place at the property. The inspections before and after the lease term is to compare for the return of the security deposit. Then there will be bi-annual inspections scheduled during business hours for the owner so he will know the condition of the home while it is occupied. (exceptions may apply)
- Security Deposit: The amount of the security deposit is the same amount as the rent and this amount is required at the lease signing. (exceptions may apply)
- Pet Fee: Pets are considered for most properties. The fee is $100 per pet and a $15 rent increase per pet.
- Utilities: The tenant is responsible for all utilities. The utilities must be put in tenant’s name prior to move in.
- Maintenance Policy: The tenant is responsible for maintenance requests made by misuse, negligence, excessive wear and tear, or destructive activities of tenant, other occupants, guests, invitees, pets or others. Other maintenance requests are each subject to a deductible amount of the first $100 of the repair which is to be paid promptly by tenant.
- Scheduling a Lease Signing: A lease signing can be scheduled between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The approved applicant will need to be on time and bring the full payment as cash or money order.