Becoming a Tenant
- Apply: An application can be filled out online under the property listing or at the office. The fee is $50 per financially responsible person.
- Age: Applicants must be of legal age, 18 years or older.
- Showings: Applicants must see the inside of the property they applied for before scheduling a lease signing.
- Financial Responsibility: Net monthly income must equal or exceed 3 times the rent amount of the property.
- Background Check: $50 fee is for a Credit Report, Eviction Report, Criminal Report, and Social Security Verification.
- Credit Report: Credit score must be 500 or above and monthly debt payments may not exceed 36% of net monthly income.
- Eviction Report: No record of evictions and/or eviction filings may be within the past five years.
- Criminal Report: An applicant must have minimum criminal history.
- Employment: Employment and income resources must be verifiable.
- Vehicles: All vehicles on the property must have valid plates and be operable.
Lease Signing Appointment Information
When an applicant has completed the application process and has been approved, he/she will be able to schedule a lease signing with one of CAPS’ agents. All financially responsible applicants will need to sign the lease. The lease signings will take place at the office. The following list has information an approved applicant will need to know before signing the lease:
- Length of Lease: The minimum length of a lease is 12 months.
- First Month’s Rent: The rent amount is required before move in. If the move in date is before the 1st of the month, the prorated rent will be required the following month.
- Inspection Fee: The $200 Inspection Fee is required before move in. (exceptions may apply)
- Security Deposit: The amount of the security deposit is the same amount as the rent and this amount is required at the lease signing. (exceptions may apply)
- Pet Fee: Pets are considered for most properties with a $100 pet fee per pet + $15 monthly pet rent increase per pet.
- Utilities: The tenant is responsible for all utilities and utilities must be put in tenant’s name prior to move in.
- Maintenance Policy: The tenant is responsible for maintenance requests made by misuse, negligence, excessive wear and tear, or destructive activities of tenant, other occupants, guests, invitees, pets or others. Other maintenance requests are each subject to a deductible amount of the first $100 of the repair which is to be paid promptly by tenant.